Thyroid & Its Homeopathy Treatment
Thyroid, a small butterfly - shaped gland located just below your neck does a lot many things than you ever knew it does. It can control your weight; regulate your energy level, make your mood swing and might also create difficulty for you to conceive if you are planning for a baby!
The thyroid regulates how the body uses and stores energy and interacts with other organs within the body. But sadly, for over 10 million women across the globe, this regulator is on the fritz.
There were times when it was unusual for young women to have thyroid. It was an ailment that worried women above 40. However, according to research estimates, almost 30-35 per cent of women belonging to younger age group are affected with thyroid disease today.
So, how would you know that there is some problem with your thyroid gland? You can look out for following symptoms of thyroid.
Symptoms of thyroid
Both overactive and under-active thyroid produces numerous symptoms of thyroid depending on which type they belong to:
- Fatigue without much physical activity
- Weight gain / Weight loss
- Increased sensitivity to cold / heat
- Joint pain
- Memory problems
- Hair loss
- Dry skin, brittle nails.
- Inability to conceive
- Ear problems
Are you wondering what causes this health regulator go for a toss. We list here few common causes of thyroid.
Causes of Thyroid
Thyroid sometimes results from inappropriate thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) levels, or may be caused by problems in the thyroid gland itself.
The most common cause of hypothyroidism is Hashimoto's thyroiditis, an autoimmune condition where the body makes antibodies that destroy parts of the thyroid gland. Surgical removal and certain medications (e.g., amiodarone, lithium) can also cause hypothyroidism.
Other causes of hypothyroidism include:
- Pituitary problems
- Hypothalamus problems
- Iodine deficiency (affects nearly 2 billion people worldwide)
Some babies are born with hypothyroidism - this is called congenital hypothyroidism.
There are different causes of hyperthyroidism. Graves' disease is the most common cause of hyperthyroidism. This condition occurs when the immune system produces an antibody that stimulates the entire thyroid gland; this leads to over activity and high levels of thyroid hormones.
Other causes of hyperthyroidism include:
- excess iodine, a key ingredient in T4 and T3
- thyroiditis, or inflammation of the thyroid, which causes T4 and T3 to leak out of the gland
- tumors of the ovaries or testes
- benign tumors of the thyroid or pituitary gland
- large amounts of tetraiodothyronine taken through dietary supplements or medication)
Also Read: Thyroid Disorders & Hair Loss
The reason why you need to treat thyroid disease
As mentioned earlier, thyroid gland produces thyroid hormones that are used by nearly every cell in the body. For normal functioning of the body, the hormones must be produced and secreted in determined amounts.
If left untreated, thyroid disease can lead to many complications.
An overactive thyroid ( hyperthyroidism) can lead to a number of problems such as:
- Heart problems like rapid heart rate and disturbance in the heart rhythm
- Brittle bones (osteoporosis)
- Eye problems like bulging, red or swollen eyes, sensitivity to light and blurring or double vision
- Red or swollen skin
- Thyrotoxicity crisis
An underactive thyroid ( hypothyroidism ) can cause a range of complications, including:
- Heart problems (primarily because of high levels of bad cholesterol)
- Mental health issues like depression
- Peripheral neuropathy (symptoms like pain, numbness and tingling in the area affected by nerve damage)
- Birth defects
Treatment for thyroid in homeopathy
In homeopathy treatment for hypothyroid or hyperthyroid, we provide constitutional treatment, which focuses on improving the function of the thyroid gland by natural means. The constitutional remedies will stimulate the body to reactivate thyroid secretions.
Thyroid treatment in homeopathy helps to improve immunity thereby helping to balance hypothyroid as well as hyperthyroid functions in your body. Homeopathy treatment for hypothyroid or hyperthyroid can also reduce the dependency on external supplementation of the hormones and ensure overall improved quality of health.
Therefore, homeopathy is a best way to treat thyroid disease without any side-effects and it is a painless procedure to cure and get relief from it permanently.
Lifestyle changes for healthy thyroid function
- Healthy nutritious food and low stress levels can minimize the chance of developing thyroid disease.
- Iodine is crucial for the production of thyroid hormones. Even a small quantity of iodine is sufficient for normal production of thyroid hormones, and iodized salt is usually enough for providing the amount required. However, if you have iodine deficiency, eat the right amounts of iodine rich foods such as seaweeds, iodised salt and seafood. Also, remember that excess iodine can cause goiter.
- Include eggs, nuts, seeds, fish and legumes in your diet, as they are all rich in proteins. Protein transports the thyroid hormone to all your tissues and thus helps your thyroid function effectively.
- Regular exercise is crucial. Exercise not only enables weight-loss but also releases ‘happy hormones’ in the body reducing stress and helping you cope with low moods and depression.
- Adequate bone-building nutrients such as vitamin D are important during and after thyroid treatment.
- Cigarette smoke has various toxins (thiocyanate, in particular) that are especially dangerous to thyroid, and can trigger thyroid disease in susceptible people. Therefore, try to avoid or limit the use of cigarettes.