Vitiligo is a chronic skin condition that causes white, smooth patches on the skin.
Melanin is a natural pigment from which skin gets its color. The cells called melanocytes produce this pigment. Vitiligo is caused when melanocytes at different areas of the skin die or are unable to function, leading to loss of melanin and the emergence of white spots in those areas.
Vitiligo, also known as acquired leukoderma, can affect men, women and children. The probability of vitiligo in children is higher when both parents are affected by it. Moreover, it can affect the skin on any part of the body.
The exact reason how melanocytes die or what causes this malfunction is yet unknown. However, several factors increase the probability of developing vitiligo and may put you at risk. Some of them are:
- A family history of vitiligo disease.
- A family history of auto-immune diseases such as thyroid, type 1 diabetes etc.
- Other auto-immune diseases.
- Genetic mutations
- Events like extreme stress, skin trauma or severe sunburn can trigger vitiligo
What Are The Psychological And Social Impacts Of Vitiligo?
Vitiligo is neither life-threatening nor a contagious disease. But due to the visible white patches on the skin, patients with vitiligo disease may experience extreme emotional stress and go into social isolation. In severe cases, it may lead to depression and suicidal tendencies in people.
Homeopathy is the best vitiligo treatment option as it is safe and treats the condition without causing any side-effects. Homeopathic medicine stops or slows down further destruction of melanocytes. Homeopathy doctors take into consideration the physical and emotional aspects of vitiligo disease and treat associated complaints as well.
For more details on vitiligo treatment provided at Dr Batra’s,UAE, contact us at any time
What Are The Causes Of Vitiligo?
Vitiligo is an auto-immune condition that is caused by the loss of pigment, and it leads to white patches on the skin in different areas of the body. Melanin is a skin pigment produced by melanocytes which provide the skin with its natural color. Malfunction of melanocytes results in the loss of melanin and causes vitiligo.
The exact reason for the destruction of melanocytes is not known. But experts believe that a combination of the following three factors cause vitiligo:
- Auto-immune diseases
- Environmental factors.
Vitiligo is believed to be associated with different auto-immune and inflammatory diseases such as:
- Diabetes mellitus
- Addison's disease
- Alopecia areata
- Pernicious anemia
Heredity is considered as one of the major factors that cause vitiligo. According to Harvard Health Publishing, close to 30% of people with vitiligo disease have a family history of the condition. Also, about half of the people with vitiligo disease start showing symptoms before the age of 20.
Vitiligo affects men, women and children. However, the incidence is higher in children when both parents are affected by vitiligo.
Extreme stress is known to affect the immune system of an individual. It causes the body to react and mistakenly destroy the melanocytes by releasing antibodies against them. Additionally, exposure to harsh chemicals, skin trauma, severe sunburn can cause vitiligo.
What Are The Signs And Symptoms Of Vitiligo?
The major symptom of vitiligo is the loss of natural skin pigment in patches leading to the sudden onset of a single, few or many soft, white patches on the body. Small areas of de-pigmentation with irregular shapes and sizes slowly spread and covers larger areas of the body.
The progression of the symptoms differs from one person to another. While some people may experience sudden fast advancement, others may notice a few small patches that do not change much over time.
Another major symptom of vitiligo is that hair over the affected part gets affected. Commonly, the hair on the skin, scalp, beard, eyebrows, eyelashes may lose its color.
Other symptoms include the following:
- Loss of original skin color in patches. These symptoms generally first appear on the face, hands, areas around body orifices and the genitals.
- Loss of color in the tissues lining the mucous membranes. Example, - inside your mouth and nose.
- Premature greying/whitening of the hair on your eyelashes, scalp, beard or eyebrows.
Depending on the type of vitiligo an individual experiences, the symptoms may vary as well. The symptoms of the most common types of vitiligo are discussed below:
Focal - Patches associated with vitiligo are limited to specific areas of the body.
Segmental - In this vitiligo type, symptoms are generally distributed asymmetrically, affecting one side of the body.
Symmetrical - In this type, you may notice bilaterally symmetrical patches over the body.
Generalised - In this case, vitiligo symptoms are spread all over the body.
Lip-tip vitiligo - symptoms are limited to the lips and the tips of the fingers and toes.
Genital vitiligo - In this type, symptoms affect the private parts of the body.
What Are The Different Types Of Vitiligo?
There are six different types of vitiligo which are discussed below:
1. Generalized Vitiligo: Generalized Vitiligo is the most common form of vitiligo. In this type of vitiligo, discolored patches of no specific size appear in different areas of the body.
2. Segmental Vitiligo: Segmental Vitiligo is less common. In this type of vitiligo, white patches on the skin are restricted to one area of the body or one segment of the skin. Examples include white spots on hands or face.
3. Focal Vitiligo: It is a rare vitiligo type that affects children mostly. In Focal Vitiligo, the macules just remain in a single area of the body.
4. Mucosal Vitiligo: Patches or white spots are found on mucous membranes of the mouth and/or the genitals.
5. Trichrome Vitiligo: In this type, vitiligo spots appear with a white center, followed by an area of lighter pigmentation and then an area of regularly-colored skin.
6. Universal Vitiligo: This is a rare vitiligo type that causes skin discoloration on the entire body.
Homeopathic Treatment For Vitiligo
Different types of psoriasis show different symptoms. The symptoms of the most common types of psoriasis are discussed below:
People with vitiligo disease experience physical symptoms like white patches on the skin, which is visible to others. Therefore, it affects people emotionally. Homeopathy provides a holistic healing approach for vitiligo treatment. It helps patients by treating the physical symptoms as well as underlying conditions such as stress and depression.
Vitiligo Treatment at Dr Batra’s
At Dr Batra’s UAE, homeopathic doctors diagnose vitiligo based on certain factors such as the location of the condition, the duration, the extent and disease activity.
- The medical and family history of the individual is discussed.
- A detailed examination is done to know if other systemic illnesses such as thyroid disorders, autoimmune diseases etc. are present.
- 3D imaging device captures the condition up to 10 mm below the surface of the skin. It helps to measure the size of white patches and find patches that are beneath the skin and not visible to the naked eye.
- Finally, a customized vitiligo treatment is prepared depending on the needs of the patient. Homeopathic medicines for vitiligo treatment are completely safe and without any side-effects.
Dr Batra’s offers personalized and customized vitiligo treatment in homeopathy. For more details, contact us at any time.
Is vitiligo disease contagious?
Can vitiligo affect the lips?
Is Vitiligo a genetic disease?
What Is vitiligo disease?
For more details, contact us at any time.
How does homeopathy vitiligo treatment help?
Can stress and anxiety be causes of vitiligo?
Additionally, patients with vitiligo diseases experience severe psychological impacts and show anxiety and depression. This affects the quality of life of the individual.
Homeopathy vitiligo treatment considers the physical as well as emotional aspects of the disease and provides holistic healing to the patient. Contact Vitiligo Expert at Dr Batra’s. Book an appointment now
Is it possible to stop vitiligo from spreading?
At Dr Batra’s, homeopathic doctors diagnose vitiligo using a 3-D imaging device. The technology helps to diagnose the condition a minimum of 12 weeks in advance, even before visible symptoms. This improves the evaluation of vitiligo. Thereafter, an effective vitiligo treatment is prepared aiming at reducing further spread.