Acne is a common skin problem which affects both men and women. It is a chronic inflammatory skin condition that is characterized by pimples on the face, neck, chest, shoulders, back and upper arms. The condition can affect anyone at any age, but it is more common among teenagers.
According to the National Center for Biotechnology Information, acne is estimated to affect 9.4% of the global population. This makes it the eighth most prevalent disease in the world.
(Source: NCBI, reference: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25597339/#:~:text=Abstract,eighth%20most%20prevalent%20disease%20worldwide.)
What Causes Acne?
Your skin has tiny openings called pores. Acne occurs when the pores on the skin become blocked by dirt, bacteria and debris. Our skin produces a natural oil called sebum that keeps it lubricated and soft. It maintains the elasticity of the skin. Excess production of sebum attracts dirt and blocks the pores causing acne.
Blackheads, whiteheads, pimples, nodules and cysts are the most common types of acne. Various factors like hormonal imbalance, unhealthy food, lifestyle choices, stress and menstrual hormones can also cause acne.
Acne can lead to scarring of the skin, and therefore, prompt acne treatment is essential.
The Impact Of Acne On The Quality Of Life
Acne that appears on the face can cause emotional distress. It can negatively impact mood, self-esteem and interpersonal relationships, especially among adolescents.
As per the study conducted with adolescents in Greece, acne impacts the quality of life. The impact is found to be proportional to the severity of acne. More severe acne is associated with a greater effect on the quality of life with implications on self-esteem, body image and relationship with others (Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3699905/)
Acne can impact one’s outlook on life. In many cases, this skin condition affects the patient’s psyche in the following ways:
- Low Self-esteem
- Social Isolation
- Negative Body Image
- Low Self-confidence
- Anger and Frustration
The best acne treatment solutions, therefore, consider physical symptoms as well as the emotional aspect of the patient.
Homeopathy is a safe and gentle method to treat all types of acne. Consult Acne Experts at Dr Batra’s.
What are the main causes of Acne
Two major factors cause acne: Overactive sebaceous glands and acne-causing bacteria. Other factors causing acne are genetics, hormonal factors, various medications, friction on the skin, stress and some cosmetics.
1. Sebum: The skin consists of glands called sebaceous glands that produce oil to keep the skin soft and lubricated. This oil is called sebum. When excess sebum is produced, it gets trapped inside the pore causing acne.
2. Bacteria: Propionibacterium acnes (P. acnes) is the bacteria that causes acne. It resides in the skin and is normally harmless. But in acne-prone skin, these bacteria are more in number and irritate the skin, leading to inflamed acne.
3. Genetics: Genetics can determine what your skin type is and how effective your immune system is against bacteria that promote acne. If your parents have oily skin or had severe skin and acne issues, the risk of having acne breakouts will be higher in you.
4. Hormonal Changes: Growth hormones that increase during puberty can cause acne. These hormones cause the sebaceous glands to enlarge and produce more sebum, causing acne.
In women, hormonal changes during pregnancy, menstrual cycle and menopause can affect sebum production and develop acne. Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome(PCOS) is a common cause of acne as well.
5. Medications: Medicines that contain corticosteroids, testosterone or lithium can lead to severe acne.
6. Friction: Friction or Pressure on the skin can cause acne. For example, roughly rubbing your skin while cleansing your face can cause acne breakouts. Also, the use of unclean mobile phones, masks and helmets which often come in contact with skin can cause acne.
7. Stress: Stress does not directly cause acne. However, if you have acne, stress can make it worse.
8. Cosmetics: Certain cosmetics used over long periods of time can cause acne. Also, some ingredients used in some cosmetics such as dyes, acrylics, parabens, and silicones, can clog pores and cause acne.
What are the different types of Acne
There are six types of acne - Whiteheads, Blackheads, Papules, Acne Pustules, Nodules and Cysts.
Whiteheads: Whiteheads are a mild form of acne that generally appears on the oiliest areas of the body. They are visible as small, round, white bumps on the surface of the skin. Whiteheads occur when a pore becomes clogged with sebum, dead skin cells, or debris. This type of acne is commonly seen on the forehead, nose and chin. They can be found on chest, shoulders, back and arms as well.
Blackheads: Blackheads are small black bumps that appear on your skin due to clogged hair follicles. In this mild type of acne, the surface of the skin looks dark or black. It is generally seen on the face but can also appear on the back, chest, neck, arms, and shoulders. Blackheads are slightly raised, although they are not painful. They are easy to spot on the skin because of their dark colour.
Papules: Papules are inflamed red bumps that appear on the skin’s surface with no visible fluid. They are formed when the walls surrounding the skin pores break down due to severe inflammation. Therefore, clogged pores are tender or sore. This type of acne can be large or small, and it can occur on the face or the body.
Acne Pustules: Acne Pustules are inflamed red pimples with a white, yellow or cream colored head. Filled with pus in the center, sometimes a brownish spot is noticed on the head. It is debris within the pore of these pustules. They can develop on the face and the body.
Acne Nodule: An acne nodule is a severe type of acne with large, inflamed and hard pimple deep in the skin. They feel like lumps and are quite painful. A nodule can be filled with pus, but the head is not visible as it occurs under the skin. Acne nodule requires proper medical attention. Homeopathy medicines are effective in treating this type of acne.
Cysts: Cysts are the most severe form of acne with very large, inflamed and red lesions. They feel like soft, pus-filled lesions deep under the skin’s surface and are very painful. This acne type is formed when skin pores are clogged by a combination of sebum, bacteria and dead skin cells. They damage healthy skin tissue and increases the risk of permanent scars.
What are the symptoms of Acne
Acne can be mild, moderate and severe. In case you have mild acne, few and fairly minor blackheads, whiteheads, bumps and pimples are noticed. With moderate acne, inflamed papules and pustules will be more noticeable along with bumps and blackheads. Severe acne is characterized by inflamed, red, swollen and large lesions in the form of nodules or cysts.
Homeopathic Treatment For Acne
Natural remedies are best for treating skin conditions. Homeopathic medicines, made from natural ingredients, are therefore ideal for acne treatment. It is safe, gentle and free of any side-effects.
Homeopathic medicines are used to treat the root cause of acne as they provide long-term relief. It treats the underlying conditions such as low immunity, PCOS, thyroid, nutritional deficiencies, allergies, stress etc. Moreover, homeopathic medicine stimulates immunity and equips your body to fight against acne.
In cases of severe acne, homeopathy helps in reducing the eruptions over a period of time and controls the scarring as much as possible. Individualized homeopathic medicinesare effective in giving healthy skin to the patient gradually.
As per a case report, the classical method of homeopathy, i.e., a single medicine based on the patient's individual characteristics is effective in treating acne. The case report suggested a remission rate of more than 80% using the individualized homeopathic acne treatment. The treatment remained effective long after cessation and did not accompany any significant side-effects. (Source: Karger Journal, internal reference: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29490312/)
Also, homeopathic acne treatment helps in reducing the possibility of recurrence of symptoms. It also helps in improving general well-being by providing healthy skin and renewed self-esteem.
At Dr Batra’s™, UAE a holistic approach is taken to understand the physical as well as emotional concerns of the individual. Thereafter, personalized acne treatment is provided to the patient. The qualified and experienced dermatologists combine expert skincare with an individualized diet plan provided by nutritionists to treat acne.
Book an appointment online for safe and natural acne treatment.
First, the team of doctors will identify the type of acne based on visible signs and symptoms.
Secondly, doctors will discuss your medical history to determine the cause of acne.
Your condition will be analyzed and evaluated using advanced technologies such as 3D imaging devices and Dr Batra’s™ M.O.S.T. The response to acne treatment is also measured using this technology.
3D Imaging Device
- Advanced optical technology developed by scientists at Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland.
- It allows the skin to be viewed in 2 & 3 dimensions.
- It can show your response to the acne treatment in the lower layers of your skin much before it can be seen by the naked eye.
Dr Batra’s ™ M.O.S.T
- Developed exclusively for Dr Batra’s™ by Austrian scientists after 4 years of research.
- Helps doctors to understand the progress of acne treatment.
- Helps measure acne treatment outcome.