How Does One Reduce Hair Psoriasis?
According to The National Psoriasis Foundation, 45 to 56 percent of people living with psoriasis have scalp psoriasis. It can affect the scalp, forehead, back of the neck, skin around the ears and also cause hair loss.
While there can be hair regrowth once the scalp psoriasis clears; there are few preventive measures that you can follow to prevent hair loss and minimise the psoriasis symptoms. According to The American Academy of Dermatology Association (AAD):
- Gently comb and brush away the scaly skin: To treat scalp psoriasis, you must gently loosen and remove scaly skin. As forcefully removing scales often loosens your hair causing hair loss. It can also aggravate your skin problems, causing psoriasis to flare-up.
- Trim and file your fingernails:Scalp psoriasis can be itchy, making it difficult to avoid scratching your scalp. Short, smooth nails can prevent harsh scratching and avoid hair loss or scalp bleeding.
- Let your hairdry naturally:When you have scalp psoriasis, your scalp gets extremely dry. Blow drying can lead to excessive dry skin.
- Use natural hair care products: Hair colour, straightening products, and hair sprays can lead to dry hair and itchy scalp. Dry hair causes hair breakage which can lead to excessive hair fall. Before using a hair care product, dab a small amount on your skin and let it stay there for a while. If you experience skin irritation, swap that product for something gentler. Be vigilant to test every new product.
Moreover, here are a few scalp psoriasis home remedies and psoriasis treatments that can improve the appearance of psoriasis lesions, moisturize the skin, and soothe itching:
- Turmeric: According to a research study by The National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI), turmeric has anti-inflammatory properties to treat scalp psoriasis symptoms. You can include more turmeric, fresh or powdered into your cooking.
- Apple cider vinegar: It can help relieve an itchy scalp. If apple cider vinegar causes a burning sensation, rinse it after it dries or dilute it in 1:1 ratio with water. Patients with cracked and bleeding skin should avoid this remedy.
- Sea salts or Epsom salts (magnesium sulphate compound): Soaking your whole body, including the affected part of your head in warm water with dissolved sea salts may reduce scalp psoriasis symptoms. You should apply a moisturizing cream after your bath.
- Baking soda: Baking soda is a quick and easy treatment for an itchy scalp. Take a small glass of water and stir in one tablespoon of baking soda. Then use a cotton pad or washcloth to apply the mixture onthe affected area of your scalp.
- Coconut or avocado oil: Coconuts and avocadoes are filled with healthy fats that boost skin health. Massage a few drops of either type of oil, cold or luke-warm, on your scalp. This can reduce and remove some of the scaling associated with psoriasis symptoms.
- Garlic: Ithas strong anti-inflammatory properties and is an antioxidant that improves skin condition, while preventing scalp psoriasis symptoms. Mix pureed or pressed raw garlic with aloe vera cream or gel in a ratio of 1:1. Apply the mixture on the affected area for 15 to 20 minutes and rinse it off.
- Aloe vera: It is a plant known for its skin-healing properties. Creams that contain aloe vera can help reduce itching, skin inflammation, flaking, and redness.
- Tea tree oil: Tea tree is a plant known to treat inflammatory skin conditions. It works as an antiseptic and can alleviate the skin inflammation and redness associated with scalp psoriasis.
- Oats or colloidal oatmeal: Adding a cup of raw ground unflavoured oats to a warm bath and soaking for 15 minutes may help reduce your scalp psoriasis symptoms. Oats can soothe irritated skin and may help remove extremely dry plaques from your scalp.
- Omega-3 fatty acids: Omega-3 fatty acids, taken in the form of fish oil and plant-based supplements such as, flax seeds may reduce skin inflammation.
- Vitamin D: Sunshine may help relieve some symptoms of scalp psoriasis. Apply some sunscreen with Sun Protection Factor (SPF) 30 and spend 10 to 15 minutes in the sun. Consider spending time outside in the morning when the sun is less intense.
The symptoms of scalp psoriasis can range from mild to severe. If a person does not receive treatment, it can lead to severe hair loss. It’s important to treat scalp psoriasis and monitor symptoms for other conditions. Scalp psoriasis can be associated with chronic inflammation, which occurs with other health problems such as, insulin resistance, arthritis, obesity, high cholesterol and heart diseases.
Read about the Dr Batra’s™ psoriasis treatment: https://www.drbatras.ae/skin-diseases/psoriasis/homeopathy-treatment
Homeopathy Treatment for Scalp Psoriasis
Certain conventional oral medications for symptoms ofpsoriasis can suppress the body’s immune system. However, homeopathy treatment for scalp psoriasis helps to control itching, prevents the spread of psoriasis and treats the symptoms of psoriasis, without any side-effects. Homeopathic medications are found to be more effective than other conventional treatments, in the long-term.
Dr Batra’s™ combines homeopathy and aesthetics to provide the best treatment for hair fall due to scalp psoriasis. If you experience hair thinning or hair loss due to scalp psoriasis, then aesthetic treatments, such as groHair or STMcell are very helpful.
Dr Batra’s™ psoriasis treatment is holistic and personalized that extends beyond just physical symptoms, thereby correcting the emotional concerns of the patient. We highly recommend that you take the Dr Batra’s™ skin evaluation test in order to assess the current state of your skin disease. The homeopathic specialist will customise your scalp psoriasis treatment after considering specific conditions of the skin. Book an appointment with us at Dr Batra’s™ https://www.drbatras.ae/book-an-appointment and let our expert winning combination of homeopathy and technology provide the most suitable scalp psoriasis treatment for you.