7 Natural Home Remedies for Dandruff and Itchy Scalp
The most embarassing thing that could happen when you're dressed up for an interview or a formal dinner, is a perpetual need to scratch your itchy scalp. You also notice white flakes on your jet black blazer—laid bare for all to see.
According to The National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI), dandruff affects 50 percent of people. Moreover, as per a research study published in The National Library of Medicine (NLM), underlying causes of dandruff include dry skin, seborrheic dermatitis, sensitivity to hair products and the growth of a specific type of fungus that lives on the scalp.
When these pesky white flakes become a reason of embarrassment and frustration, it's time you do something about it. These natural home remedies are some effective ways of treating dandruff and itchy scalp:
Also read: https://www.drbatras.ae/skin-condition
- Tea tree oil: It contains a compound called terpinen-4-ol, which possesses powerful antimicrobial properties. Tea tree oil contains high concentrations of terpinen-4-ol that can help reduce dandruff by suppressing the growth of fungi and bacteria on the scalp. The compounds in tea tree oil can effectively control Staphylococcus epidermidis (S. epidermidis); commonly found in individuals with dandruff. You should mix tea tree oil with any carrier oil before applying it on your scalp, as it can cause skin inflammation and rashes due to its high potency.
- Lemongrass oil: Lemongrass oil has antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties that can help control dandruff and itchy scalp. According to a research study published in the Karger Journal, hair tonics containing 10 percent lemongrass oil reduced dandruff by 81 percent, after two weeks. You should dilute lemongrass oil with water or mix a few drops into your natural shampoo or conditioner before using it, as it can cause irritation or an allergic reaction when applied directly on the skin.
- Coconut oil: It can help improve hydration, reduce irritation and prevent fungal growth on the scalp. As per a clinical research study published in the Wiley Online Library, applying virgin coconut oil on the skin led to a 68.23 percent decrease in atopic dermatitis symptoms in a group of 117 children, aged 1 to 13 years old.
- Aloe vera gel: The gel in its leaves contains several bioactive compounds, such as amino acids and antioxidants that can reduce dandruff. The aloe vera gel can improve moisture retention in the skin and promote wound healing. Aloe vera can reduce skin inflammation, to avert itchiness due to dandruff.
- Omega-3 fatty acids: The National Institutes of Health (NIH) recommend that most adults consume 1.1 to 1.6 grams of omega-3 fatty acids per day. Omega-3s provide several skin benefits, such as:
- Manage oil production
- Regulate inflammation
- Improve hydration
- Reduce signs of aging
Its deficiency can result in adverse symptoms, such as dandruff, brittle nails, and dry skin. You can include food such as fish, soyabean and flax seeds in your diet.
- Dietary changes: Fresh fruits and vegetables contain many essential vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that can help reduce skin inflammation. A clinical research study published in ScienceDirect described that individuals who ate more fruits were less likely to have seborrheic dermatitis. Additionally, include eggs, fish, meat, legumes, seeds and nuts for healthy hair, nails and skin in your diet.
- Zinc: Various anti-dandruff shampoos contain zinc pyrithione because it prevents fungal growth and removes excess skin cells from the scalp. According to a research study by The National Center for Biotechnology (NCBI), zinc deficiency is a potential contributing factor for seborrheic dermatitis and dandruff. You can include lean meat, sea-food, beans and nuts in your diet.
- Aspirin: Aspirin (over the counter pain reliever) contains salicylic acid, an active ingredient commonly used in anti-dandruff shampoos. You can crush one or two uncoated aspirin tablets into a fine powder and mix the powder in your regular shampoo.
- Baking soda: It is an exfoliant that can remove excess skin cells and oil on the scalp. Additionally, it also possesses antifungal properties that may help fight the fungus responsible for dandruff. You can apply baking soda on wet hair and massage it on the scalp, leave it for some time and then shampoo it off. Please note, baking soda has a high pH level; its excess usage can strip the hair of its natural oils and cause dryness or irritation.
- Reduce stress: Stress plays a significant role in your overall health. Prolonged stress and anxiety can increase blood pressure and heart rate. It can trigger or worsen various skin problems. There was a clinical research study published in the Journal of Nippon Medical School that examined the relationship between stress and anxiety as well as atopic dermatitis. Patients with atopic dermatitis reported higher levels of anxiety than those without this condition.
Read about Dr Batra’s™ skin treatment: https://www.drbatras.ae/skin-treatment-at-dr-batras
Dandruff is a skin condition that causes itchy, flaky skin on the scalp. This condition can impact your self-esteem and overall Quality of Life (QoL). If there are underlying skin conditions, such as eczema or psoriasis, you should consult your skin doctor for a comprehensive skin treatment plan.
Homeopathy Treatment for Skin
Homeopathy treatment for skin treats the ailment from the root and doesn’t cause any side-effects, unlike conventional treatments. Consult a professional homeopathic doctor to determine an appropriate medicine that will rebalance your entire system and treat your skin condition. Homeopathic doctors record your detailed case history, consider underlying causes and factors of your dandruff and then prescribe a customised homeopathic treatment. The dosage and the potency of the homeopathic medicine will also be patient specific.
Book an appointment with us at Dr Batra’s™ https://www.drbatras.ae/book-an-appointment and let our homeopathy specialist guide you towards the most appropriate and effective skin care treatment for your itchy scalp and dandruff!