How effective is Apple Cider Vinegar for treating dandruff?
Are you distressed by an itchy, dry flaky scalp? This could be a sign of excess dandruff. According to a study on National Center for Biotechnology Information, there is a prevalence of dandruff in 50% of the general population. With dandruff, you may notice white and oily flakes that accumulate on your hair and shoulder.
When your dandruff problems get severe, it can lead to seborrheic dermatitis. This condition unlike dandruff is not restricted to the scalp; it can also affect other seborrheic areas. The symptoms you may notice with seborrheic dermatitis include scaling, flaking and itching of the skin, along with inflammation.
Does dandruff cause hair fall?
Sometimes, people who have dandruff problems may also suffer from hair fall. Intense itching and scratching on your scalp can damage the hair follicles which can lead to hair loss. Mild itching caused by dandruff can also lead to hair loss, but if the itching is controlled, hair fall problems can be reduced. A common reason for dandruff can be irregular washing of the hair which can lead to an accumulation of flaky skin cells on the scalp. Malassezia (yeast) can also cause excessive skin cell growth that can lead to severe dandruff.
There are different natural remedies used to treat dandruff and hair fall, but apple cider vinegar is the most commonly used remedy. According to a study by the International Journal of Science and Research, apple cider vinegar has been used for centuries to treat food and medical ailments. It has anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties that help reduce the agony associated with dandruff and also manage bacteria and yeast-like fungus. Apple cider vinegar can balance the pH levels of your scalp, stimulate the shedding of dead skin cells and reduce the growth of fungus that may trigger dandruff formation. Here are the properties of apple cider vinegar that may help reduce the effects of dandruff:
- Apple cider vinegar is mildly acidic this can help balance hair and skin pH levels.
- It has antifungal properties that can protect your scalp from fungus which lead to dandruff problems.
- Fermentation of apple cider vinegar makes it rich in acids and minerals. This in turn, can help to treat dandruff effectively.
Here are the steps you can follow while using apple cider vinegar to treat dandruff at home:
- Mix 1/2 a cup of apple cider vinegar with 11/2 cups of cool water.
- Use shampoo and rinse your hair as you always do.
- Now, pour the apple cider vinegar and water mix through your hair. Don’t rinse.
- You can then use a conditioner if needed
The use of apple cider vinegar treats dandruff, soothes the itching on your scalp and also removes oil and dirt off your hair and scalp.
If the application of apple cider vinegar causes itching, stinging or redness on your scalp then stop using it.
Along with apple cider vinegar, you can treat dandruff with the use of other natural remedies that include:
- Tea tree oil: This has anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties that may help relieve the symptoms of dandruff.
- Coconut oil: With the use of coconut oil you can keep your skin moisturized and control dryness that can cause dandruff.
- Aloe vera: It is a succulent that has anti bacterial and anti fungal properties that help prevent dandruff scalp effectively.
Also Read: Can Aloe Vera Gel Prevent Dandruff?
Also Read: Dandruff Myth bubbles busted
Homeopathy for dandruff
You can opt for homeopathic solutions that helps treat dandruff related issues effectively, naturally and causes no side effects. According to a study on Researchgate, homeopathic treatment has a holistic approach in managing seborrheic dermatitis. The treatments offered by homeopathy are condition-specific that makes it long lasting and effective.
Why Dr Batra’s®?
Our team of expert homeopathic doctors and trichologists offer patient-specific homeopathic solutions. Scalp skin analysis is performed through video-microscopy to understand the intensity of scaling on your scalp. This device can magnify the scalp upto 200 times, helping them determine the right homeopathic treatment. Now, get timely and effective dandruff treatment at Dr Batra’s®, book an appointment https://www.drbatras.ae/book-an-appointment.
Also Read: 5 top questions asked by people who suffer from Dandruff
Also Read: Hair care tips to cure dandruff permanently
Also Read: Is Dandruff or Seborrheic Dermatitis Contagious?