10 reasons your scalp itches and how to get relief
When your scalp itches, it can be challenging to think about anything else. You may feel that the itch will never stop, but it is possible to experience relief. Getting rid of the itch starts with finding out why your scalp itches. Here are 10 reasons for an itchy scalp.
Note: Scratching your scalp can lead to temporary and in rare cases, permanent hair loss.
- Dandruff:If your scalp is itchy and dry and you notice flakes on your hair or clothing, you may have dandruff. A more severe form of dandruff, which includes inflammation of the skin, is also known as seborrheic dermatitis.
- Reaction to a hair care product:An itchy, dry, and flaky scalp could be telling you that you need to rinse your hair more thoroughly to remove the shampoo from your hair. Any amount of shampoo left behind on your scalp can cause irritation.
If you have a rash and an itchy scalp, you may have a condition called allergic contact dermatitis. It is often caused by an ingredient in hair dye called para-phenylenediamine (PPD).
There is a possibility of getting an allergic reaction to certain ingredients in your shampoo, conditioner or any other product that touches your scalp. If that’s the case, you may likely develop an itchy rash on your scalp and other skin areas that the product touches.
- Hives:Hives are red, raised and intensely itchy bumps that can form anywhere on the skin, including the scalp. Hives tend to heal within a few days; but sometimes, they may even come back. If hives reoccur in less than 6 weeks, they are chronic (long-lasting) hives.
- Head lice: An itchy scalp is the most common symptom of head lice. If you suspect that the itch is because of head lice, ask someone to closely check your scalp and hair for signs of these tiny insects.
- Scabies: Scabies is caused by a tiny bug called the human itch mite. If these mites burrow into your scalp, you will feel an itching sensation on your scalp. An itch is the most common symptom of scabies; its intensity can even keep you awake at night.
- Scalp ringworm:Ringworm isn’t caused by worms. It’s an infection caused by a fungus. If you get ringworm on your scalp, you’ll likely have an intensely itchy red rash. Severe inflammation at the rash area can cause scarring or permanent hair loss.
- Scalp psoriasis:According to the American Academy of Dermatology, about 50% of the people who have plaque psoriasis experience a flare-up on the scalp at some point. If you have scalp psoriasis, you may have reddish patches, silvery-white scales, dandruff-like flaking and a dry scalp. Scalp psoriasis is often itchy and the itch ranges from mild to intense. Scratching very hard and picking at the scaly spots can lead to temporary hair loss.
- Atopic dermatitis:A type of eczema known as atopic dermatitis (AD) can affect your scalp. When this happens, you may have scales and redness on your scalp. Some people even complain about inflammation and itchiness on the scalp.
- Nerve problem: An intensely itchy scalp without signs of a rash or any other skin reaction can be a symptom of a nerve problem. Neuropathy is a problem with a nerve that occurs due to damage, disease or an abnormality in the way the nerves work.
- Skin cancer:Basal cell carcinoma is the most common form of skin cancer that can develop on the scalp. It causes raised red patches that may cause itchiness.
A dermatologist with expertise in diagnosing skin cancer can tell you whether you need to be tested for skin cancer or if there is any other reason for your itchy scalp.
Also read: https://www.drbatras.ae/hair-treatment-at-dr-batras
Homeopathy treatment for itchy scalp
Homeopathy treatment can solve your itchy scalp problem naturally. The health of our hair depends primarily on our scalp condition. And at the end, the scalp is simply skin. A homeopathic dermatologist or trichologist can diagnose the condition with visible symptoms, laboratory tests (if required) and a detailed case study of the patient and the scalp condition. This helps to prescribe the most fitting natural remedy and treat the root cause of the scalp itch.
Homeopathic remedies can be used by individuals of all age groups. They are non-addictive, free of side-effects and do not cause any dependence or addiction.
According to a case study published in ResearchGate, a 14-year old male patient presented severe scalp psoriasis condition which began 11 years before. He was given two homeopathic remedies, Lycopodium at C 200 potency for 2 weeks and Lachesis till the lesion completely disappeared. The homeopathic treatment resulted in the complete disappearance within 4 months with no recurrence of the condition.
If you are suffering from scalp itchiness, it is best to not wait longer to get treatment. Continuous scratching can damage your hair follicles and to control from scratching can be challenging.
At Dr Batra’s®, we specialize in treating different hair and skin conditions including itchy scalp problem. As authenticated by The American Quality Assessors, our positive treatment outcome rate is 94.3% in treating skin conditions and 96.6% in treating hair conditions. Book an appointment with Dr Batra’s® to get rid of scalp itch with a safe and effective homeopathic treatment at our nearest clinic.