7 Best Natural Dry Scalp Treatments That Actually Work
Unless you were blessed by the hair gods, most people have probably had to struggle with a dry scalp. A dry scalp means the surface layer of the skin is compromised; allowing moisture to escape and leave a dry, itchy scalp behind. Well, there is good news for you; we tapped our leading dermatologists and have put together the 7 best dry scalp treatments that can bring you relief.
7 best dry scalp treatments
- Coconut oil
Coconut oil is at the top of the list for the best dry scalp treatment. It can moisturize the scalp and its antifungal and antibacterial properties can help reduce the risk of infections.
- How to use: Apply a small amount of coconut oil directly on your scalp and massage it into the scalp. Leave it to sit for at least 10 minutes before washing your hair. It not only helps to treat scalp dryness, but also makes the hair silky and smooth.
- Tea tree oil
Tea tree oil has strong, antifungal, antiseptic and antibiotic properties that can relieve dry scalp and its symptoms. This is why many dandruff shampoos can be found to have tea tree oil in them.
- How to use: You can use one of these products, or mix a few drops of tea tree oil with a carrier oil like coconut or olive oil and massage it into your scalp. Leave it on your scalp for 10 minutes before washing your hair.
- Apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) has many health benefits that can reduce the symptoms of dry scalp. It is antimicrobial, which means it can eliminate the bacteria or fungi that could cause itchiness. ACV is also anti-inflammatory and helps to exfoliate your scalp, which make it an effective dry scalp treatment.]
- How to use:Mix one portion of apple cider vinegar with two portions of water, and apply it directly to the scalp. Let it sit for five minutes before washing it out with a gentle shampoo and condition your hair like normal.
- Baking soda and olive oil
Olive oil is a great moisturizer and baking soda has antifungal and antibacterial properties. The two together can exfoliate your scalp. Their moisturing, exfoliation, and antifungal properties combined, can become the best dry scalp treatment and reduce itchy white flakes.
- How to use: Mix equal portions of baking soda and olive oil, and massage it into your scalp thoroughly. Let it sit for five minutes before washing your hair well with shampoo and conditioner to remove the residue.
- Yogurt and egg
Though this may seem like breakfast gone wrong, egg and yogurt both have unique benefits that can soothe a dry scalp. Yogurt soothes and exfoliates the scalp, while the fat and protein in eggs can nourish and boost hair growth.
- How to use: Use a few tablespoons of unflavored yogurt and mix in one well-beaten egg. Massage it into your scalp and hair, and wait 10 minutes before washing your hair. Rinse out the mixture with cold or lukewarm water, or the egg may cook and become difficult to remove from your hair.
- Mashed bananas
Bananas nourish and moisturize the scalp; this not only helps to beat the dandruff problem but also makes them the best dry scalp treatment. In addition to moisturization, they are a natural antimicrobial. The two benefits combined can help to soothe your dry scalp. (Plus, they’re delicious).
- How to use: Blend or mash a banana with a few tablespoons of olive oil or coconut. Blending it makes it easier to rinse it out of your hair. Massage it into your scalp and let it sit for 15-20 minutes.
If you notice changes to your scalp that are serious and not improving with self-care treatments, consult with a dermatologist or trichologist for the best dry scalp treatment. Severe dryness of the scalp may damage hair follicles and cause hair to thin or stop hair growth completely.
To know more, read: https://www.drbatras.ae/dandruff-vs-dry-scalp-the-difference-and-causes
Homeopathy treatment for dry scalp
Homeopathy is one of the best dry scalp treatments and treats this stubborn hair condition right from the roots. The health of our hair depends primarily on our scalp condition. And at the end, the scalp is simply skin. A homeopathic trichologist or dermatologist can diagnose the condition with visible symptoms, laboratory tests (if required) and a detailed case study of the patient and the scalp condition. This helps to prescribe the best natural remedy to treat the scalp condition and reduce its recurrence.
Homeopathic remedies can be used by individuals of all age groups. Positive results with cost effectiveness make homeopathy the best dry scalp treatment. Homeopathy is also non-addictive, free of side-effects and does not cause any dependence.
According to a case study published in ResearchGate, a 14-year old male patient presented with a severe scalp dryness and dermatitis condition. He was given two homeopathic remedies, Lycopodium at C200 potency for 2 weeks and Lachesis till the symptoms completely disappeared. The homeopathic treatment resulted in the complete disappearance of the dandruff and itchiness caused by dryness within 4 months of treatment.
If you are suffering from a dry scalp, it is best to not wait longer to get treatment. Continuous scratch due to itchiness can damage your hair follicles; this can lead to hair loss. Book an appointment with a homeopathic dermatologist or trichologist and get rid of the dryness of your scalp with the best dry scalp treatment in homeopathy.
Also Read: https://www.drbatras.ae/dandruff-vs-dry-scalp-the-difference-and-causes