Dandruff vs. Dry Scalp – The Difference and Causes
A dry and flaky scalp is mostly self-diagnosed as dandruff. But that is not always the case. Flaking of the scalp could also be result of a dry scalp. In either case itching is also very common symptoms. Hair not being washed often enough causes the scalp to build oil which in turn causes flaking of the scalp.
The Difference and Causes
Dandruff occurs due to too much oil on the scalp. This causes the scalp skin cells to build up and then shed. Sometimes dandruff can be infected with a fungus called Malassezia furfur. When a person is infected with this fungus and scratches the scalp and the flakes fall on the face, chest or back then it causes acne.
Seborrhoeic dermatitis is another severe form of dandruff. Seborrhoeic dermatitis presents with an inflamed skin covered with flakes majorly over the scalp along with hairloss in most cases. It is also seen on the chest, face, eyelashes, area behind the ears and the back may also get affected by Seborrhoeic dermatitis. Itching and burning is often present in the affected areas.
In infants, cradle cap is the term applied to Seborrhoeic dermatitis over the scalp where thick, oily, yellowish/ brownish crust forms on the head.
2. Dry Scalp
Dry scalp causes increased irritation of the scalp skin which leads to itching and flaking of the scalp skin. The probable causes of a dry scalp could be scalp psoriasis or vitamin D3 deficiency or cold dry weather or contact dermatitis caused due to reaction of hair products like hair gels, hair sprays or shampoo. Scalp psoriasis needs immediate medical attention as it is caused due to abnormal functioning of the skin cycle. If the treatment is delayed or ignored then it could spread to the other areas of the body too.
Using an antidandruff shampoo is not the solution to your problem. The condition need to be diagnosed and treated accordingly.
- Homeopathic medicines are effective in treating causes leading to a dry scalp or dandruff without any side effects.
- Homeopathy remedies are selected and customized for you based on your history.
- Homeopathy effectively treats the underlying cause of dandruff or dry scalp such as anaemia, thyroid etc, thereby controlling the hair loss caused due to a dry scalp or dandruff.
- Homeopathy is very safe and easy to use.
- Homeopathy corrects the altered immune system caused due to diseases and increases a disease free period.
Tips to prevent dandruff or dry scalp
- Keep the scalp clean by washing regularly. Use a natural dandruff cleansing shampoo every alternate day.
- Protect your hair from sunlight and pollution. Keep your hair covered while traveling.
- Consume 2 tbsp of roasted powdered flaxseeds every day. Eat a serving of probiotic yogurt daily for a healthy scalp.
- Apply coconut oil or olive oil on the scalp to loosen the scales and then wash hair with mild shampoo.
- Practice relaxation techniques such as yoga and meditation to ease stress.
- Try not to scratch your scalp. Scratching can make scalp psoriasis worse. It also can cause hair loss, which can become noticeable.
- Shampoo gently. Rubbing a shampoo into the scalp may seem best, but it’s not. Rubbing, scrubbing, and scratching your scalp tend to make scalp psoriasis worse.
- Remove scale with care. To treat scalp psoriasis, you need to loosen and remove the scale on your scalp. You must do this gently. Picking can cause scalp psoriasis to flare.