Homoeopathic Medicines for Constipation
Constipation is a condition in which bowel movements occur infrequently. When this happens, the intestinal contents can harden and subsequently the hard, dry stools can be painful, or difficult to pass.
People with constipation often feel bloated and complaint of gas with frequent headaches. This can affects one’s mood, health, concentration and also productivity. Generally, an adult who has not had a bowel movement for more than 3-4 days is considered constipated. Constipation can occur at any age. It is more common among children and women, especially elderly women than men. It also has a tendency to occur during pregnancy.
Causes of Constipation
- The causes are a dime a dozen – right from not drinking enough fluids, to eating a low fibre diet; lack of exercise; prolonged bed rest following an illness, or hospital stay, stress, travel, laxative overuse and delaying the urge to pass stools.
- It may sometimes be caused by impaction because of stools being trapped in the lower portion of the large intestine. This condition is commonly affects elderly, disabled and children.
- Likewise, anal fissures or small cracks in the lining of the anus and irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) can also cause constipation.
- Certain conventional medications like anti-depressants, antacids, anti-histamines, anti-hypertensive’s, aspirins, iron and calcium supplements are known to cause constipation.
- Long standing or chronic constipation may be a sign of a serious underlying illness for e.g. high blood calcium levels, hypothyroidism, depression, diabetes, kidney disease, lead poisoning, spinal cord injury, Parkinson’s disease and colorectal cancer.
Waste is toxic. It is therefore not healthy to carry a heavy constipated or toxic load in the body.
Homoeopathic Medicine for Constipation
- Homeopathic medicine is a boon for people who are habitually constipated.
- Homeopathic medicines, together with a healthy lifestyle, proper diet management and exercise can aid complete recovery from constipation.
- Homeopathic medicines treat constipation by strengthening the sluggish intestines. As the intestines get strengthened, their propelling power is raised and bowel movements are regularised.
- Homoeopathic medicine is a holistic medicine. It helps to correct the underlying or maintaining cause. Hence any disease causing constipation can be treated with homoeopathy without any side-effects.
- Homoeopathy has no side-effects hence very safe for children.
- Homoeopathic medicines gradually eliminate the requirement of laxatives because if laxatives are used for prolonged period it could be one of the causes of constipation.
- Homeopathic medicines for constipation are natural and free from any adverse side-effects.