Causes & Treatment of ADHD
Is your son restless & unable to sit at one place for a long time? Is it difficult for him to continue with any task for more than just few minutes? Or do you get complaints from your child’s teacher often that she makes careless mistakes or runs into risky things without thinking about the consequences, leading to accidents and injuries? If so, there is a possibility that your child is suffering from a disorder called Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD).
ADHD is a behavioural disorder that obstructs brain activity. What is it that causes ADHD?
Causes of ADHD in children
- Family history: It has been found that ADHD often runs in the family. Chances are if the parents carry an undiagnosed form of this condition, the child might develop it too. Anywhere from one-third to half of parents with ADHD will have a child with it.
- Smoking, drinking during pregnancy: Research suggests that children exposed to tobacco smoke prenatally are more likely to have ADHD than those who are not.
- Environmental factors: Children exposed to lead, excessive second-hand smoke, narcotics or abuse at a young age are more likely to develop ADHD.
- Premature birth: Studies suggest that premature babies or those with low birth weight have higher risk of developing ADHD symptoms.
- Brain injury at young age: Brain injury due to a serious blow to the head, a brain tumor, stroke, or disease can cause problems with attention and poor regulation of motor activity as well as impulses of a child. Children who have been dropped as babies or who have faced any kind of distressing head injury are at a high risk of developing ADHD.
Conventional ADHD treatment consists of brain stimulant medications. However, it has been proven that these medications come along with a number of side-effects including loss of appetite, trouble in sleeping and even depression. Homeopathic treatment for ADHD offers holistic healing without any of the harmful side-effects.
Also, it is important to know that one-size-fits-all approach cannot be taken for ADHD. What works for one child might not work for another. Homeopathy believes in customized ADHD treatment. It therefore takes into account the distinctive nature and personal traits of every child and the treatment is recommended accordingly.
Homeopathy being mind-body medicine, it analyses and treats the many subtle variations of behaviour at emotional, mental and social levels. Homeopathy also helps in correcting child’s metabolism, which further improves his behavior, learning ability, and brain function.
Self-help for ADHD
Though there are many tips that you can discuss with your therapist to help your child achieve better focus, attention and get him do normal chores, here are few self-help tips that can help parents to reduce disruptive behaviours and deal with challenges related to ADHD.
- Break down the tasks in small goals: For children with ADHD, some tasks can be extremely stressful and difficult to achieve. It will therefore help if wherever possible, you break the tasks into small achievable goals. For example, if you want your child to learn household chores, try starting with some basic things like taking the food plate to the wash basin after eating.
- Tell your child what to do and then stop talking: At times we continue to explain and elaborate every task to an ADHD child, but this only distracts the child instead of allowing him to comply.
- Compliment each completed task: Good behaviour should be praised and rewarded. It is just as important to learn what behaviours are acceptable, as it is for them to learn what is unacceptable. This they can learn by receiving compliments for every completed task.
- Encourage outdoor games: Burning off excess energy through playing outdoor sports helps promoting concentration and focus. It also lowers the risk of depression and anxiety in ADHD children. It can even improve sleep patterns and stimulate the brain.
- Grab their attention: Use a bell, chime, or toy horn to indicate you are about to give instructions. This will help grab their attention and listen to the instructions.