Rheumatoid Arthritis - Treatment
|Conventional treatment||Possible side-effects of conventional treatment*||Advantages of homeopathy|
|Immune modulators||Weakening of the bones||No side-effects|
|Pain killers and opoids||Short-term relief||Long-term solutions|
|Long term may cause peptic ulcers|
*Treatment effects may vary from person to person
Homeopathic treatment aims at offering a symptomatic relief to patients of RA and correcting altered immunity in order to control the progress of the disease. The treatment also helps in delaying the onset of complications such as deformities or disability as far as possible.
Being a holistic system of medicine that heals the body as well as the mind, homeopathy can effectively target auto-immune disorders like RA, especially those in which stress is the known trigger. There have been multitudes of RA patients who have reaped the benefits of this wonderful science of homeopathy.
Conventional treatment for RA consists of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), which have the risk of damaging the stomach lining, causing bleeding ulcers, or corticosteroids, which can cause high blood pressure and bone brittleness amongst other side effects. Homeopathy, on the other hand, provides safe and sure solutions. It relieves pain and stiffness associated with RA as well as strengthens immunity of the body so that patients may live productive and pain-free lives.
In a double-blind controlled study conducted in Britain in 1980, 82% of the group that received homeopathic treatment reported significant improvement in their symptoms of RA compared with just 21% in the control group, receiving placebos. The subjects in this study had received individually prescribed constitutional homeopathic remedies.
In another study, 54 patients of RA were treated with homoeopathy and 41 patients were treated with high dose of salicylate (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug). Both these groups were compared with 100 patients who received placebo. The study concluded that patients who received homeopathy did better than those who received salicylate. In addition, patients who received homeopathic treatment did not experience toxic effects. This study clearly demonstrated that homeopathy provides an effective solution for RA and is safe from side effects. It is strongly suggested that patients opt for homeopathic treatment as early as possible for their condition.
Living with RA
Living with RA may not be very easy but certain changes in diet and lifestyle can surely go a long way in simplifying the lives of patients. Based on our experience of treating a large number of cases of RA with good results in most cases, we have seen that the following self-help tips are immensely useful to patients suffering from RA:
- Exercise regularly in moderation - this strengthens muscles, reduces the load on joints, prevents stiffness and increases the range of movements.
- Swimming is a good exercise for conditioning the joints and strengthening the muscles.
- A warm shower or bath after prolonged period of sitting or sleeping helps reduce stiffness.
- At work, take frequent short breaks to avoid stiffness; you may simply get up take a walk around the office and come back to work.
- Shed excess weight, if any.
- Give adequate rest to affected joints during a flare-up.
- Take up stress management techniques like meditation, yoga, etc., to curb the stress.
- Get enough calcium and vitamin D to prevent osteoporosis (include eggs, cereals, milk, whole-grain products, fortified breads in food).
- Consume omega-3 fatty acids found in walnuts, flax seeds, soybean kernels (also found in salmon, tuna fish and sardines) have been found to control inflammation.
- Antioxidants (found in fruits, veggies, nuts and tea) also help in controlling the inflammation besides many more health benefits.
- Red meat, high carbohydrate foods and fatty items are best avoided.
- You may not be able to perform all your daily activities as before, so don't be disappointed. Get someone to help you.
- Above all, listen to your body. Rest when you feel tired, but don't rest for prolonged periods to avoid stiffness.
Homeopathic treatment, along with these diet and lifestyle changes, can certainly go a long way in treating RA and controlling the symptoms as far as possible.
Treatment at Dr Batra's TM consists of:
- Multi-factorial approach
- Holistic understanding of the patient
- Reduced intensity, frequency and duration of complaints
- Identifying emotional stressors such as financial loss, loss of a job, dispute in family
- Reduced use of risky drugs in many cases
- Minimal use of painkillers
- Delays and prevents deformities
- Takes care of complications
- Enhances mineral absorption in the bones
- Natural medicines to:
- Prevent the self-destruction process of bones and cartilage
- Halt and control the disease process
- Prevent damage to joints, thus reducing pain, inflammation and swelling of the joint, thereby improving joint mobility