PCOS? Don’t worry, Homeopathy can help.
Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) is an endocrine disorder. It causes hormonal imbalance affecting the ovaries. There will be numerous cysts in the ovaries with high levels of male hormone, lack of ovulation and disturbance in metabolism. It is a common condition that affects 1 in 15 women all over the world at any age after puberty. The risk of PCOS is higher in obese women and in those with family history of it. Many times the condition goes undiagnosed.
What can cause PCOS?
Exact cause of PCOS is not known. Several factors including Genetics may play a role.
- High male hormone- Androgen. Women produces small amount of androgen. But when develops PCOS the androgen levels are higher than the normal. This affects the menstrual cycle.
- High levels of insulin – Many women with PCOS have insulin resistance. This causes insulin blood levels to become higher than normal. As time passes, insulin resistance can lead to type 2 diabetes.
Symptoms of PCOS
Following symptoms will be seen in women suffering from PCOS:
- The menstrual cycle will be affected, giving rise to irregular periods or no periods.
- You may notice weight gain, especially around the waist and find it difficult to lose
- You will experience hair thinning,
- Hair growth on face, chin known as hirsutism
- You will develop acne on face, chest and upper back,
- Your skin along neck creases, groin, underneath breast might get dark.
Health problems that can be linked with PCOS
PCOS can be linked with various health problems such as:
- High blood pressure
- Seep apnea
- Anxiety & depression
- Unhealthy cholesterol
- Endometrial cancer.
How is polycystic ovarian syndrome diagnosed?
When you see your doctor, your doctor will look into
-Medical history- A complete medical history will be asked and physical examination will be done.
- Pelvic examination- To determine the size of ovaries.
-Pelvic Ultrasound- To check your ovaries for cysts and check the lining of the uterus.
-Blood Test- To check the levels of male hormones. And also Thyroid function test, cholesterol
Levels and test for diabetes may be done.
Homeopathic treatment for PCOS
Many of the cases of PCOS go undiagnosed. It is therefore important to get it diagnosed early and then see a doctor for proper treatment. This will help you to reduce your chances of serious complications later.
The conventional medical management is symptomatic management and life style changes. Metformin, oral contraceptives, anti androgen etc are used to manage different symptoms of PCOS.
This might give rise to various side effects.
Homeopathic treatment of PCOS on other hand is very safe, gentle and effective. Some of the benefits of homeopathic treatment are:
- It has no side-effects.
- Homeopathic medicines can treat PCOS by modifying general conditions.
- There are various medicines for the conditions. After proper case taking the most appropriate medicine, the similimum, can help the patient to keep away from the disease for a longer period.
- In homeopathy the treatment is based on holistic approach, hence all the psychological and emotional aspects of the patient are taken into consideration for cure of the case.
23- years-old Rakhi complained of amenorrhea (absence of menstrual periods) since one year. She was gaining excess weight. Excessive hair growth was seen on the face and her chin. She got her menarche at age of 13. Menstrual flow lasted for 5 days. However, after that she did not get menses for 2 years. She visited her gynaecologist and was detected with polycystic ovarian syndrome. She was given hormonal treatment and her menses resumed. Later, she started getting menses after every 3 months and then stopped completely. She came to Dr Batra’s homeopathic clinic with the hope of getting cured permanently.
Apart from her medical symptoms, we tried to understand some personal traits of Rakhi. She was very mild, soft spoken person. She was the only child. Her parents fought frequently, which she never liked. She missed her father, as he would be away from home due to job. She liked talking to everyone but made friends with people who are soft spoken. She liked people who corrected her and guided her. She liked eating fish, had aversion to sweets.
After proper case analysis, we prescribed her Pulsatilla. Following month started getting symptoms she usually got during menses but no flow. Drug potency was increased after four months and the same month patient got her periods. Now since 2 years she has been taking medicines properly and is getting her periods regularly.
Things you can do by yourself:
-Avoid sugar, fruit juice, cold drinks, processed foods,
-Avoid cold food and ice-creams,
-Avoid alcohol and smoking.
With the right treatment at right time and proper care you can restore your health.