Herbal remedies for ADHD
Any parent of a child with ADHD disorder would always seek the best treatment for their child. They would be very careful regarding the side-effects of the medicines prescribed for ADHD treatment and would never want their child to suffer more. Medicines are generally prescribed in extreme stages when the physical and psychological symptoms go beyond the parent’s control.
Below mentioned are the names and benefits of a few herbal remedies which are generally recognized as safe for ADHD children. However the herbal remedies mentioned below should be administered after seeking advice from your treating doctor.
- Lemon Balm (Mellissa officinalis): This herb helps to reduce the nervousness and agitation in a child with ADHD. It also helps to increase the appetite.
- German Chamomile Flower: This herb helps to reduce restlessness and insomnia in a child with ADHD.
- Passiflora Incarnata (Passion Flower): Passiflora Incarnata is a very well known herb and widely used by an individual who is suffering from insomnia. This herb helps to minimize anxiety, insomnia and excitability in a child with ADHD.
- Brahmi: This herb is very famous for increasing the cognitive function. When this herb is administered to ADHD children it helps to increase general learning abilities. It helps to improve the concentration level and helps the child to improve their focus.
- Gingko Biloba: This herb is very popular for its ability to increase the blood circulation to the brain. Inattentiveness is a marked feature of a child suffering from ADHD. This herb helps to improve the attentiveness of a child with ADHD.
- Ginseng: This herb is also very popular for its stimulant effects. This herb helps to increase endurance and concentration.
- Kava Kava: This herb is very popular for promoting tranquility and calmness.
There are a few more herbs which are used for reducing the hyperactivity; impulsiveness and inattentiveness in a child but have toxic side-effects:
- Guarana Powder: This herb has been found to cause caffeine toxicity.
- Yerba mate: This herb is generally taken in the form of tea. This herb is associated with high risk of developing mouth cancer.
Every medicine or herb has its own limitation and is not the ultimate solution for ADHD. A well balanced diet, skilled parenting techniques and help for specialized health care providers for ADHD are important for treatment of ADHD.