Female Sexual Health - Causes
Low sexual desire
Emotional reasons can be the cause of low sexual desire. This includes the following:
- harsh sexual experience;
- fear of intimacy;
- fear to lose control;
- fear of pain;
- negative self-image;
- fear of pregnancy;
- fear of sexually transmitted infections; and
- cultural or spiritual background;
- relationship issues;
- family set-up, i.e., living in joint families, lots of distractions, etc.;
- lack of space;
- fatigue from caring for young children and old parents; and
- too much alcohol or excessive smoking may also cause lack of sexual desire.
- atrophic vaginitis Ã¢â‚¬â€œ thinning of the vaginal wall due to menopause;
- dryness/reduced vaginal lubrication;
- hormonal issues;
- chronic illness, such as blood pressure and diabetes;
- pelvic surgery;
- depression; and
- poor health.
Medications for convulsions, heart disease, anti-depressants and opioids.
- alcohol and smoking and
- conditions related to aging, such as menopause.