Glossary On Self Care Tips

Obesity management can be a fruitful exercise only if the patient shows as much dedication towards treatment compliance as possible. Based on our expertise and experience of treating obesity for the last 35 years, we have observed that certain modifications in lifestyle can go a long way in showing successful results in most cases of obesity. In addition, our qualified and experienced nutritionist from London particularly ensures that we give our patients nothing but the best of diet and lifestyle tips that have been scientifically proved helpful.

For obesity management, the patient should be put in a negative energy balance - ideally 500-1000 calories less than their recommended dietary allowance (RDA). Ideally, the person should lose 0.5-1 kg per week. To lose weight in a healthy manner and to sustain the weight-loss, 10 principles have been highlighted below:

  • Do not skip breakfast: Fuel the brain and the body. A good breakfast kick-starts metabolism, allowing you to burn more calories during the day. It might be a challenge to fit it into your busy lifestyle but a healthy breakfast goes a long way in controlling your weight in the long term.
  • Eat protein with complex carbohydrates: Combining these food groups in every meal of the day, including snacks, will ensure that you get a steady flow of energy as the body converts food relatively slowly to glucose. You can hence prevent triggering insulin production and, in turn, minimizing the potential of your body to store food as fat. Protein-rich foods are lentils, legumes, milk (soya and regular), egg, meat, fish and tofu. Complex carbohydrates are un-milled brown rice, oats, whole wheat, jowar, ragi and bajra.
  • Stay hydrated: It is important to drink plenty of water, at least 2.5 litres a day and even more in hot weather or if you are exercising. Remember, your body is 80 per cent water and by the time your body tells you that you are thirsty, you are already dehydrated. Limiting alcohol (also high in calories), tea and coffee is important, as these are dehydrating.
  • Enjoy a varied diet: It is very easy to get into the habit of eating the same foods every day. Be experimental and make sure your foods are as colorful as your wardrobe. Try and introduce two new nutrient dense foods into your diet every week. This will ensure that you get a variety of nutrients each day.
  • Enjoy your food: Eating has become a chore these days, mostly crammed in between “important” events, and we barely find time to really savor our food. Taking time out to eat is beneficial to our digestive health (that is, we digest better and in turn absorb more nutrients) and far more satisfying.
  • Avoid sugar: Excessive consumption of foods high in simple sugars (table sugar, fruit juice, fizzy drink, cakes, confectionery) disrupts the body’s blood sugar balance, leading to fat production and weight gain. These foods are high in calories too, forcing you to burn more to weigh less.
  • Eat the good fats: Not all fats are bad. The body needs the good fats (also known as essential fats) such as Omega 3 (oily fish - sardines, raavas, Bangda) and Omega 6 (linseeds, sunflower and pumpkin seeds) to function properly. The key is to limit intake of saturated fats (red meat, dairy, confectionery, butter).
  • Eat little and often: Graze and not gorge! Eating a balanced meal (complex carbohydrates 50 per cent, good fats 25 per cent, protein 25 per cent) with healthy snacking (nuts, seeds, fruits) gives you a constant supply of energy throughout the day, making hunger, tiredness and food craving a thing of the past.
  • Follow the 80:20 rule: It is very natural to stray from these principles, but as long as you are eating healthily 80 per cent of the time, you can indulge the rest of the 20 per cent. This means that you can enjoy all the social occasions without feeling guilty and also escape the boredom associated with “Diet” regimes.
  • Last but not least - Exercise: Losing and maintaining weight does not involve just changing your attitude towards food. Exercise and eating healthy go hand in hand. Your daily energy output must balance your calorie intake. Therefore, no matter how busy you are plan 30 minutes of exercise (brisk walking, swimming, jogging, cycling, aerobics) everyday!