After busting some of the common myths that have existed for a long time now regarding the science of homeopathy, we now move on to give you some interesting facts about Homeopathy. It is interesting to see how this science has created a special place for itself today in India as well as globally!
Facts about Homeopathy - Global
- As part of its global strategy 'Health for All' in the 21st Century, WHO (World Health Organization) has supported the integration of conventional and alternative medicines to improve the quality of health care.
- Some famous patrons of Homeopathy include Mahatma Gandhi, Tony Blair, Pope Pius X, Paul McCartney, Richard Branson, Martina Navratilova, Boris Becker, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Whoopi Goldberg, Pamela Anderson, The Chili Peppers and Tina Turner to name a few.
- According to WHO, Homeopathy is the 2nd largest system of medicine with a growth rate of 20-25% every year. The growing popularity of Homeopathy and its legal acceptance has been seen in 66 countries.
- The British Royal Family has been under homeopathic care since 1980. The Queen carries her 'black box' of homeopathic remedies on her travels.
- 15% of the British population trusts homeopathy and consults homeopathic physicians.
- France is the largest Homeopathy market in the world (over 300 million euros) followed by Germany (200 million euros).
- Homeopathy is the leading alternative medicine in the US.
- Over 40% of British physicians refer patients to homeopaths, and almost 50% of Dutch physicians consider homeopathic remedies to be effective.
- Homeopathy has made major advances in regions like the Mediterranean basin, South America, Eastern Europe, and India.
- In Pakistan, almost half of the 10,000 doctors registered prescribe Homeopathy on a regular basis.
Facts about Homeopathy in India
- Homeopathy came to India courtesy Maharajah Ranjit Singh of Punjab.
- Homeopathy constitutes approximately 14% of the total alternative market with an annual growth rate of 20-25% as compared to pharma, which has a 10% growth rate.
- The Homeopathy market in India is worth Rs. 12.5 billion.
- In Mumbai, 52% of the population uses Allopathy, 39% of the population uses Homeopathy, and 9% of the population uses other medicines such as Ayurvedic or Unani medicines.
- The Government of India developed the homeopathic system of medicine by setting up a homeopathic enquiry committee way back in 1948, and today it is accepted as one of the National Systems of Medicine.
- There are over 3,00,000 qualified homeopath practitioners, 7,500 government clinics, 307 hospitals, and 180 Teaching Institutes affiliated to Universities existing in India specific to Homeopathy.
- A current survey in 7 Indian cities revealed that 48% people trust Homeopathy as the preferred option of treatment.